Last Updated February 24, 2015
OUR MISSION is to motivate individuals and communities to realize a world without waste. As such, we bring together individuals from around the world to participate in our various programs and get rewarded for taking every day green actions through our Recyclebank Rewards Program. In order to authenticate and empower our Rewards Program, Recyclebank collects and stores certain types of information about our members to verify identity and activity in the Rewards Program along with enabling us to communicate with our members directly, and in turn customize their experience with us.
- What information does Recyclebank collect?
- Why does Recyclebank collect information about you and how do we use it?
- Who does Recyclebank share your information with and why?
- How can you change your privacy preferences or account information?
- What information is collected through integration with third party services?
- Third party links and websites.
- Are there any other issues to consider?
1. What Information Does Recyclebank Collect?
To participate in any of our Programs we may need to know your home address or contact address, contact phone number, email address which we receive through various sources as detailed below. We may also require you to create a unique password and security PIN and question and agree that Recyclebank may record certain information about you. From time to time participants will be asked for PII such as demographics (age, income, etc.), psychographics (what you like to purchase, etc.) and interests. Submission of this information is entirely voluntary and may qualify you for additional reward Points earning opportunities. In addition, Recyclebank records content, such as text, images, pictures, and profile information, which you submit or upload to the Site or any other Recyclebank platform such as an off-site mobile application or social media platform. User images and screen names that you upload to the Site or select will be displayed in order to identify you, both to yourself and to other participants. To best serve you, we may combine this information with data that is publicly available and data that we receive from other reputable sources whose policies meet the Direct Marketing Association's privacy standards.
Before you begin participation in any of our Programs, you will need to activate or register your account on either the Site or via a Recyclebank partner site. The method for activating or registering your account will vary by Rewards Program. Recyclebank does not rent or sell members' PII or program activity with anyone without a member's express consent. We reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful.
A. Information You Provide:
In order for you to participate in the Recyclebank Rewards Program (which includes our home recycling programs, and many other contests and activities) you first must become a Recyclebank Member and agree to the Recyclebank Membership Agreement. Through this registration process you provide us with:
(i) Personally identifiable information (“PII”) such as your name, street address, phone number, or e-mail address, which we use to enroll you in our program and communicate with you.
(ii) Information about you and your household (such as your age, education, household composition), which we use to verify your eligibility for our program as well as to provide a more personalized experience
(iii) Online Profile Information. Online profiles are created for Members who use the Site to participate in the Recyclebank Rewards Program. By creating an online profile on our Site, we also allow Members to submit on a voluntary basis certain personal information about themselves they wish to share through their online Recyclebank profile (such as hobbies and interests, pictures, text descriptions, friends, and other profile information similar to other social networking communities.) Your online profile can be updated through our preferences center on our Site, various mobile applications, and our Customer Care Call Center.
B. Information Provided About You From Other Sources:
Your participation in some of Recyclebank's programs, such as the Home Recycling Program, may lead to us to receiving certain additional information about you through third parties. This information may originate from:
- your waste or recycling hauling company
- your municipality (with respect to US residents)
- other government entities
- partner websites you access through our Site or retailers where you can earn or redeem Recyclebank Reward Points
- social media and social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter that you have opted to link to your Recyclebank online account through the Site.
As detailed above, in order for you to participate in any of our Programs we will need to know certain information about you which we receive directly from you or through various sources. We may also require you to create a unique password and security PIN and question and agree that Recyclebank may record certain information about you. From time to time participants will be asked for PII such as demographics (age, income, etc.), psychographics (what you like to purchase, etc.) and interests. Submission of this information is entirely voluntary and may qualify you for additional reward Points earning opportunities. In addition, Recyclebank records content, such as text, images, pictures, and profile information, which you submit or upload to the Site or any other Recyclebank platform such as an off-site mobile application or social media platform. User images and screen names that you upload to the Site or select will be displayed in order to identify you, both to yourself and to other participants. To best serve you, we may combine this information with data that is publicly available and data that we receive from other reputable sources whose policies meet the Direct Marketing Association's privacy standards.
Before you begin participation in any of our Programs, you will need to activate or register your account on either the Site or via a Recyclebank partner site. The method for activating or registering your account will vary by Program. Recyclebank does not rent or sell members' PII or program activity with anyone without a member's express consent. We reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful.
C. Website Browsing Information & Cookies:
When you visit our Site, we track information to assist us administering the Site and analyzing Site usage. This information includes:
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address,
- cookies (as further detailed below),
- the state or country from which you access the Site,
- date and time of your visit to the Site,
- the kind of browser or computer you use,
- name of your Internet service provider,
- web pages from which you link to our Site or go to from our Site, or
- the webpages within our Site you view when visiting our Site.
Additionally, when you access our Site by using a mobile device, we may collect information about your location in order to enable certain features of our mobile applications.
Recyclebank uses third party technology, Google Analytics, in order to track session data. Google Analytics adheres to industry best privacy principles with respect to its data collection practices. Recyclebank does not provide Google with any PII as part of using Google Analytics. Further information about the Google Analytics privacy principles can be found at http://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/learn/privacy.html.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. For example, if you personalize a web page, or navigate within a site, a cookie helps the site to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. Hence, this simplifies the process of delivering relevant content and eases site navigation by providing and saving your preferences and login information as well as providing personalized functionality.
The type of information that may be stored in a cookie includes non-PII about you. Some examples may include a randomly assigned user or session identification number, the country where you are located, and your first name to welcome you back to the site.
We reserve the right to share aggregated site statistics with third parties, but will not allow other companies to place cookies on our website unless there is a temporary, overriding customer value (such as merging into our Site another site that relies on third-party cookies).
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you reject cookies by changing your browser settings then be aware that this may affect the functionality of our Site.
D. Customer Service:
We also collect information when you interact with our Customer Care Call Center in order to appropriately track, research and respond to member inquiries.
E. One Twine Use
2. Why Does Recyclebank Collect Information About You and How Do We Use It?
Recyclebank uses the information described above to provide you with a superior member experience and, as necessary, to administer our business through the Recyclebank Rewards Program. For example, we collect various types of information that allow us to:
- reward Members in our Rewards Program for certain activities including recycling and other environmentally conscious activities (e.g. we may use household recycling data and PII to determine how many Recyclebank Reward Points you have earned, to alert you when you earn Reward Points and to fulfill reward requests);
- provide a more personalized online experience by using the images and screen names that you upload to the Site or select to identify you, both to yourself and to other participants (e.g. this may include us publicly displaying on our Site your photo and user name in connection with your profile and activities in the Recyclebank Reward Program);
- authenticate your identity;
- promote partners and vendors who support our various programs which comprise the Reward Program;
- conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop, and improve services to members (e.g. aggregate recycling and redemption data and other member actions from Recyclebank participants);
- administer sweepstakes, contests, promotions, or surveys; and
- communicate with you about special offers, events, new products or services, or surveys.
3. Who Does Recyclebank Share Your Information With and Why?
Recyclebank is not in the business of selling your information. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your PII with certain third parties with or without further notice to you, as set forth below:
- With your Consent: We may share or disclose your PII or program activity with third parties with your express consent. Should an event arise which we deem appropriate to obtain your express consent, we will contact you directly using the contact information we have on file for you. It is important that you maintain all your information with us current and accurate.
- Law and Harm: We may disclose your PII if we are required to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety of any of our Site users, any person or the general public; to address fraud, security or technical issues; or to protect Recyclebank's rights or property.
- Service Providers: Recyclebank, like many businesses, sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions (e.g. mailing campaigns to customers, maintaining databases, processing payments, and processing purchases). When we employ the services of another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function(s) and require that they in turn gain access only after agreeing to maintain this information in confidentiality and use it only for the limited purpose of providing the services contracted by Recyclebank.
- Advertisers: We may provide aggregate anonymous information concerning member usage of our Site to third parties, such as in the case of advertisers, for purposes we deem, in our sole discretion, to be appropriate regarding our Rewards Program.
- Recycling Programs/Non-Personal Aggregate Data: In order to participate in any of our Recycling Programs, Recyclebank may record household recycling habits, redemption habits, and other information about you associated with our Recycling Programs. For example, we may record the frequency with which you recycle and the weight or volume of the materials you recycle. Occasionally in the United States, we may disclose individual level data corresponding to your address and location as well as aggregate recycling data to municipalities and haulers upon request if we determine this information will benefit the general public, promote further green actions within communities or if we are contractually obligated to do so as part of providing the Recycling Program in that community.
4. How Can You Change Your Privacy Preferences or Account Information?
If, at any point during your membership with Recyclebank, you decide that you do not wish to receive specific program notices or messages, you can update your account profile and communication preferences at any time through the Site or by contacting Recyclebank's Customer Care Call Center as indicated below under “Contact Us”
We encourage you to keep your information with us current and up to date. You can make corrections, updates or deletions to your account information by accessing your online profile and visiting the “Account” Section of the Site.
5. What Information Is Collected Through Integration With Third Party Services?
- Social Networking Sites: One of the special features of this Site and the Recyclebank Rewards Programs is that we enable you to log in to your online profile with us via various online third party services, such as social media and social networking services like Facebook and Twitter. By directly integrating our services with other online third party services, we make your online experience richer and more personalized. To take advantage of this feature we will ask you to log in to the relevant social networking service. When you add any social networking service to your Recyclebank online profile or log into this Site through your other social networking account(s), Recyclebank will collect relevant information necessary to enable this Site to access and collect your data contained within that particular social networking service (e.g. such as your Facebook profile information). Please remember however that the manner in which such third party social network provider uses, stores and discloses your information is governed solely by that provider's policies, and Recyclebank will have no liability or responsibility for the privacy practices or other actions of any third party site or provider that you may enable and link to your online experience with Recyclebank.
- Recyclebank Rewards Program Sponsors: A key component of the Rewards Program is the member being able to earn and redeem Reward Points with featured sponsors. These featured sponsors are linked to our Rewards Program both outside and through our Site and integrated into member accounts to allow for maximum member ease in both earning and redeeming Rewards Points. This integration of featured sponsors does include Recyclebank making available certain aggregated member information which is anonymous as to any specific member. This allows Recyclebank to continue to incentivize members to engage in its Rewards Program while also maintaining individual member PII confidentiality.
6. Third Party Links and Websites:
7. Are There Any Other Issues To Consider?
Recyclebank takes all reasonable and appropriate steps to protect all information received from our members and provided via our Site and programs from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from this Site may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any information to Recyclebank via the Internet. You are also responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information and for controlling access to your e-mail communications at all times. Further, the security of the PII that we collect is of the utmost importance to us. We take all commercially reasonable steps to secure your PII. Reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect has been implemented and is updated periodically as we deem necessary. With this in mind, we limit access to PII to only those employees and contractors who need access in order to perform their duties.
9. Contact Us
Toll Free (US) Call:
443 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10016